Hunter's Safety Course#

First, you likely need to pass a hunter's safety course.

International Hunter Education Association is a good place to start. At the time of this writing the California information is available here. That link will take you to California Department of Fish and Wildlife where you can go the Hunting in California section.

The fastest way appears to take an online safety course followed by a four hour in-person safety course. The alternative is to take the in-person ten hour safety course.

You can take the online safety course here